Sunday, July 08, 2012

Remembering Grandma Bones

July 3rd my Grandmother passed away. I just want to take a moment to document a few of my memories of and with her.

  • I dubbed her “Grandma Bones” when I was in high school. She came to our house every Saturday and in the summer we would turn off the a/c or turn it high enough it wouldn’t kick on before she arrived. I asked why we had to do that and my mom said it was because Grandma had arthritis and the cold air hurt her bones. From them on I called her Grandma Bones.
  • Lunches and peppermint ice cream at Johnny’s Round the Clock. I remember going to this restaurant often with Grandma and usually saying I had a tummy ache at the end of my meal. She would promptly say, “We better get some peppermint ice cream to settle it then.”
  • Chinese food and hot tea. I acquired my love of hot tea from all of the times we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I ordered hot tea to accompany the food. You will often find me sipping hot tea in the evenings.
  • Spicy cabinets. Her cabinets have a certain spice smell. I think it’s a combination of all her spices. I hope someday to be in a home long enough that when you open my cabinets you can smell my spices. A few years ago my aunts redid grandma’s kitchen and the first thing I checked was that the smell was still there. It was.
  • Baked chicken and rice. If grandma was babysitting or staying with us kids for the weekend I always requested that she make her baked chicken and rice recipe. I made this Friday, July 6th and cried as I took it out of the oven.
  • Bells. I have no idea why, but for many years I bought her a bell for  Christmas or if I went on a trip. She has them all displayed in her kitchen by her sink.

My new kitchen art (Kifli & Nut Roll recipes in Grandma’s handwriting):

recipes

Four generations (from Raelyn’s baby shower January 2010):

480

6 comments:

Indianalori said...

Losing Grandmas changes everything. Hugs. I make their recipes over and over, and it does help, even through the tears.

PEEPER said...

And now I'm in tears. Thanks for sharing some of your many memories!! You'll never stop missing her but you'll also never forget those wonderful times you spent with her!

PEEPER said...

Also, tonight when I opened my spice cabinet, I was overpowered by the smell. Everytime I cook with spices now I will think of Grandma Bones! haha!

Anonymous said...

The framed recipes are lovely--what a special presence in your kitchen where you continue your Grandma Bones' legacy of preparing wonderful meals for your family.
DR

Anonymous said...

Grandma is smiling at your memories. I am too thru the tears.

Jen said...

I remember you making baked chicken and rice for us in college! I think you made it for Claude (ATO) once after he helped you fix Betsy.