Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Veggie Patch

Our beans are good. They are very, very good. Avery confirmed it for me last night. After stopping by our Roche plot and picking our every-other-day-100-beans, we dropped by my brother's house to share the fruits of our labor. Avery was already in bed but yelled down, "Mommy who is it?" when she heard us come in. Jason said I could go up, so I did and Avery and I had a nice little chat. First she showed me what she had picked out to wear to school today. Then she asked me what I was doing there, so I said we were dropping off some of our green beans. She said, "Oh, well last time your beans were very, very good, Aunt Stephanie." Then she gave me a bear hug goodnight and I was on my merry way. :)

Also at our garden plot we have okra growing. I think the flower that forms before the okra is rather pretty. 


Beans, pre-picking.

One box of goodies. We've been harvesting a box like this about every other day. The beans are getting bigger every time we pick. I'm not sure how they grow so big in 2 days!  Next year we plan to plant even more green beans (the pole variety) so that we have enough to can for winter (Mom, I need your pressure cooker please.). This year we have just enjoyed sharing our bounty. 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you don't want to can until next year, it will give me the winter to find the pressure cooker. I'm pretty sure it's on the shelf in the garage where I put it several years ago when I no longer needed it. But there will be a price to pay for using it. Maybe several jars of beans will be pay back enough. Love ya

PEEPER said...

Looks familiar!! Ah, okra...I forgot about that veggie. I planted a bit of that in Chicago, but no one but me liked it...just like my beets!!